Thursday, July 14, 2011

Emmys 2011: Disappointments


The Emmy nominations came out this morning, and after all my hard work predicting the nominees, I confess myself (on the whole) very disappointed.  It feels like the voters were just lazy this year, for the most part, picking familiar shows they've nominated in the past-- such as Glee, which was God-awful this season-- and when in doubt, just nominating everyone from Modern Family (and they're funny, but not rule-out-all-competition funny).  Among the robbed:

Nick Offerman:  It was predicted across the board that he would be getting a nod and possibly even a win for his portrayal of Ron Swanson.  I can't imagine I'm the only one who gasped in shock when his name did not appear on the list.

Community:  Again, no Emmy love for this fantastic little show, which has more wit in one cold-open than Glee had it's entire second season (sorry, I'm just feeling really bitter about all the recognition for Glee, if you couldn't tell).

How I Met Your Mother:  I got excited when I read that it had received 5 nominations... until I saw that not one of those was in the major categories.  A tragedy, considering this season was much stronger than last.

Parks and Recreation:  Yes, they got 3, and I'm thrilled about that.  And maybe I'm being greedy, but I still feel that the best comedy on television (and yes, I will keep saying that forevermore) should probably have received more nods than the one of worst comedies on television (Glee).  Amy and the show had better win come September 18th, or I will have some serious anger to overcome.

And on the whole, way too much love for shows that had mediocre to downright weak seasons:  30 Rock, Glee, and Modern Family (still love it, but it genuinely wasn't as funny this year).  Branch out a little, Emmy voters, the rest of us have.

No comments:

Post a Comment