Thursday, December 15, 2011

Golden Globe Nominations 2012: Just Stick to Movies, Guys



Dear members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association:

I respect you.  I do.  In the past you've nominated some of my favorite performances and films, if only because you have more room for them than the more crowded Oscars, for which you also usually set the tone.  And this year you've come through again, giving praise to some films, actors, and actresses who haven't gotten all the credit they deserve for the work they've done this year.  I'm very happy with the film nominations, particularly the heavy presence of The Ides of March, which thus far has my unswerving vote for most well-crafted film of the year.  You've also confirmed my hunches about which movies I must see before awards season really kicks up, including (but certainly not limited to) My Week with Marilyn, J. Edgar, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Descendants, Hugo, and The Iron Lady. 

There are some specific nominations I'm very happy about and/or intrigued by, and most of them are the ones I know will evaporate just in time for the Oscars.  I love that you nominated Joseph Gordon-Levitt and 50/50, which is one of the more underrated movies of the year-- the only icing on the cake would've been if Seth Rogen could have sneaked into the Supporting Actor mix.  I love that Ryan Gosling is nominated twice; I think we can all agree that he just deserves some kind of "Best Human Being" award for everything he's done on and off screen this year.  Putting Rooney Mara in there for Dragon Tattoo is bold, and if I weren't already planning on seeing the film at midnight next week, I'd be even more inclined to watch it now.  Overall, I think you guys pretty much nailed it on the films front, with the only outrageous robbery being of Alexandre Desplat for the Deathly Hallows Part 2 musical score. 

Let's talk about television.  Namely, the burning question of whether we're watching even remotely the same shows.  Have you actually seen New Girl or Glee, or were you merely blindsided by the cuteness of Zooey Deschanel (who you nominated for best actress in a completely incomprehensible move), and the iTunes sales of Glee?  As two of the most overrated and wildly inconsistent shows on TV right now, there is no way either of those shows should be within 18 miles of a nomination for any kind of award, let alone one of the most prestigious in the bunch.  And on top of that, you refused to recognize anything about Parks and Recreation (with the exception of the brilliant Amy Poehler), which is currently in the midst of the television equivalent of a no-hitter.  There is so much wrong with this that I can barely articulate it. 

Therefore I move that the HFPA stop pretending it knows anything about quality television, and just play to its strengths, which is acknowledging movies that deserve recognition.  Just consider it, ladies and gentlemen; it might save you some time in the future, and fans of shows that are actually good a lot of needless frustration.

Sincerely yours,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment