Thursday, January 12, 2012

Golden Globes 2012: Predictions

 The Golden Globe Awards are almost upon us, and this year's field is a pretty competitive one.  I've seen about half of the major contenders, and so feel I have the authority to pass judgment on who ought to win.  I've marked the person or film I think WILL win with a single asterisk, and the one that SHOULD (in my opinion) win with two asterisks.  I've also omitted the categories I don't care about.  


Enjoy!

Best Picture (Drama):
The Descendants
The Ides of March**
The Help*
Hugo
Moneyball
War Horse


I can't say I really understand the hype around The Help, but it's undeniable that it's been on a roll this awards season.  It will probably take the trophy on Sunday, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed for an Ides of March victory, because even after seeing several of the contenders, I'm counting it as my favorite film of the year.

Best Picture (Comedy):
The Artist*
My Week with Marilyn
50/50**
Bridesmaids
Midnight in Paris

Another clear winner here with The Artist, which has been picking up awards left and right.  I'd even be happy with a long shot victory from Marilyn (sidenote: how is this film in the 'Comedy' category?) or Bridesmaids, but I adored 50/50, and I would love to see it pull off a surprise win.

Best Actress (Drama):
Meryl Streep
Glenn Close
Viola Davis*
Rooney Mara
Tilda Swinton

The only performance I've seen yet of these five is Mara's and I know she won't beat Viola Davis.

Best Actor (Drama):
Ryan Gosling**
George Clooney*
Leonardo DiCaprio
Michael Fassbender
Brad Pitt


Not only did Ryan Gosling absolutely blow my mind in Ides of March, him getting a serious award for his ever-growing talent is long overdue.  George Clooney will probably emerge as the victor, but a girl can still hope.

 Best Actress (Comedy):
Michelle Williams**, *
Jodie Foster
Kate Winslet
Charlize Theron
Kristen Wiig


Michelle Williams is another actress who is long overdue for a prestigious award, and lumped strangely into this category, it seems this is her chance.  She was genuinely compelling in My Week with Marilyn, and I'm fully rooting for her.  The only acceptable substitute would be a Kristen Wiig victory, because I'd love to live in a world where Kristen Wiig has a Golden Globe award.


Best Actor (Comedy):
Jean Dujardin*
Brendan Gleeson
Joseph Gordon-Levitt**
Ryan Gosling**
Owen Wilson

Again, rooting for 50/50 even though I'm well aware it won't steal this award from The Artist.  Although, if we're not going to give Ryan Gosling the award for drama, I'd love to see him sneak in and win this category instead.


Best Supporting Actress:
Bernice Bejo
Janet McTeer
Jessica Chastain
Octavia Spencer*
Shailene Woodley**

Shailene Woodley is amazing in The Descendants, and for all I know, she might actually have a chance here.  But in terms of who I think will actually win, The Help has a whole lot of buzz on its side, so I'm guessing one of its two nominees will get this one.


Best Supporting Actor:
Kenneth Branagh*
Albert Brooks 
Jonah Hill**
Viggo Mortenson
Christopher Plummer

I'm 100% guessing that Branagh will get this one, and I'll be happy if he does.  He is great in My week with Marilyn.  But in a similar way to my rooting for Kristen Wiig, I'd also love to live in a world where Jonah Hill has a Golden Globe award.


Best Director
George Clooney**
Woody Allen
Alexander Payne
Martin Scorcese
Michel Hazanavicius*


Another no-brainer:  The Artist will get it, Ides of March deserves to.


Best Screenplay
Ides of March**
Moneyball*
The Descendants
The Artist
Midnight in Paris

I think the HFPA will go with safe bet Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball) on this one, but again, I'd love to see an Ides of March win, because the writing was perhaps its very best feature.


Best TV Comedy:
Glee
Modern Family**, *
New Girl
Episodes
Enlightened

I'll be genuinely surprised if I'm not right about this one.


Best Actress (TV Comedy):
Zooey Deschanel
Amy Poehler**
Tina Fey*
Laura Dern
Laura Linney


I hate seeing two of my lady heroes up against each other in this category, but what I hate even more is the fact that Amy Poehler does not yet have a major award for her portrayal of Leslie Knope. 


Best Actor (TV Comedy):
Alec Baldwin**, *
David Duchovny
Johnny Galecki
Thomas Jane
Matt LeBlanc


Again, very surprised if I'm wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree, The Descendants will win best picture (drama), and the best actor (drama) race is really between Pitt and Clooney. Idt Gosling's performance in the Ides of March was overly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you're right about Best Picture (and I'd love to see a Descendants win), I just feel like The Help has some inexplicable momentum behind it right now, plus I'm wondering if the HFPA won't want to err on the side of picking a more "social issue" film rather than a family drama.
    As for Best Actor, I've been going back and forth. I haven't watched Moneyball yet, so I don't really have an opinion on Pitt. I think you're probably right about it coming down to him and Clooney, though.

    ReplyDelete