Monday, July 2, 2012

Emmys 2012: Who Should (and Who Will) Get a Nod

It's nearly that time again, that time when I will inevitably be disappointed by the disparity between who I fervently believe ought to be recognized for their work on television, and who will actually be nominated come July 19th.  Thus I've compiled a list of predictions here, to be taken with a heavy grain of salt (most of them are just who I'm personally pulling for after a season spent studying television avidly), of some of the individuals who likely will receive a nomination, and those who are already (and will sadly only ever be) winners in my mind.

Best Supporting Actress, Drama:


Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
Now I know people aren't going to take me seriously on this one (despite the fact that the execs at HBO themselves submitted Williams for consideration), but I am absolutely convinced that this girl deserves some recognition.  Her scenes with Charles Dance in particular were extremely impressive, and for me definitely improved a couple of episodes that were otherwise just a little lackluster.  I don't think she's ready/has enough of a presence on the show just yet to merit a win (I'm pretty sure Christina Hendricks is the actress to beat in this category this year), but a nomination would be huge for the show and for Williams.  And no, I'm definitely not biased because she portrays my favorite character in the entire series.



Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
I'm not nearly caught on up Mad Men yet, but the buzz surrounding Hendricks and her performances during the series' long-awaited fifth season are almost impossible to avoid.  I love the character of Joan, and from what I can tell she's come a long way since we met her five years ago.  Hendricks certainly deserves a win, even if she's not my personal favorite of the bunch.


Jessica Capshaw, Grey's Anatomy 
Another one I feel some people might scoff at, given the somewhat depleted reputation Grey's has had in the past couple of years.  However, as someone who loyally watched every week this season and tracked the many, many goings-on at Seattle Grace with renewed enthusiasm, I would like to honestly endorse Ms. Jessica Capshaw, who plays Dr. Arizona Robbins on the show.  I know a lot of people would like to see Sandra Oh recognized for her work this season (and I acknowledge she did have quite the dramatic arc), I think what Capshaw did with her character's admittedly diminished screen time was much more subtle and at least equally, if not more, impressive.


Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey 
I think Smith is a shoe-in for a nomination again this year, because her character has emerged as the representative icon for this show as it has exploded in popularity.  Sure, some of the Dowager Countess' zingers lacked a little of their season one sting, but we got to see a different side of her during some of the more dramatic scenes during this past season.  That, and Maggie Smith is a gosh-darn living legend, people.  



Best Supporting Actor, Drama:


Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Can you tell yet that Game of Thrones is pretty much the only drama I watch regularly?  Well, that and Downton Abbey, but I think the second season of the former did a better job avoiding the sophomore slump than the latter.  Peter Dinklage will definitely be nominated-- his character and the actor himself are fan favorites-- but whether he'll win is still up for debate.



Best Supporting Actress, Comedy:
I think it speaks to how wonderful some of the comedic ensembles on TV are right now that I can think of many more candidates for the Supporting categories than the Lead ones.  The six women here (and the six men in the next section) are the result of narrowing down an even lengthier list of deserving candidates.



Aubrey Plaza, Parks and Recreation
Plaza continued to do something amazing during Parks' fourth season:  slowly growing a heart in the once-empty chest of one April Ludgate while continuing to be snarky and hilarious to boot.   Her arc this season had her growing up alongside her husband Andy, from tackling an ambitious bucket list to auditing college courses to making steps (baby steps, sure, but steps nonetheless) toward actual careers and adulthood.  She also surprised just about everyone by turning out to be the most logical stand-in for Leslie at the Parks Department during the latter's campaign.  She did set up Tom and Ann, who quickly became one of the more tedious couples on television, but I think we can forgive her that one.



Eliza Coupe, Happy Endings
She plays the neurotic, sometimes too-serious Jane to absolute perfection every week.  Coupe is an example of someone who knows her character so well you get the sense she could play the part in her sleep.  She also adds a different nuance to the show's humor, with most of her co-stars relying on more goofy humor in contrast to her snark. This is a show that is gaining more and more momentum with each episode, and it's about time it (and its performers) started gaining the recognition they deserve.  I'd love to see that start with Eliza Coupe.



Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
This season on SNL was basically The Kristen Wiig Show, featuring Some Other People.  And hey, she's earned it.  Wiig has been honing her craft and only getting funnier since she started on the show, inventing dozens of hilarious and memorable characters and helping to bring the show back from a bit of a slump.  I would honestly love to see Wiig honored for her last year on the show, and I think a lot of other people would, too.



Julie Bowen, Modern Family
 I'm including her in here not because Modern Family's third season was really awards-worthy, but because Bowen and her on-screen counterpart, Ty Burrell, continue to be consistently funny even in the face of lackluster writing and beaten-to-death jokes.  That, and she'll almost definitely be nominated, and I don't want people thinking I guessed wrong.



Maya Rudolph, Up All Night
Her crazy talk show host Ava provided some often much-needed wackiness to the plight of the Brinkleys during the show's freshman season.  I'm not expecting a win (I'm not even realistically expecting a nomination), but Rudolph would be my pick to round out this category, and I'd like to see the show get a nod to recognize the things it has done well so far.




Cobie Smulders, How I Met Your Mother 
Normally things get complicated when the Emmys try to honor someone for their more dramatic work in the comedy category; however, it is not unprecedented.  And Smulders did some fantastic work with Robin's personal arc this season, carrying the action during several episodes that were a bit less than the show's gold standard.


Best Supporting Actor, Comedy:


Nick Offerman, Parks and Recreation
 Not giving this man the win in this category would be an outrage.  Not giving him a nomination would be a crime, for which I would expect the Emmy voters to be arrested immediately.  Offerman keeps Ron Swanson dimensional, intriguing, and hilarious episode after episode, and after four seasons has not disappointed yet.  Also, Offerman is one half of the team presenting the nominations on July 19th, so it'd be kind of an additional bummer for him to have to stand there while he goes unrecognized in his category yet again.



Danny Pudi, Community
Let's be honest here.  Abed was the true star of Community's third season.  He carried many of the major plots, and played a character who was equal parts multi-faceted and dramatic as well as hilarious in his own, hyper observant way.  Pudi deserves a nomination at the very least; it would be a damn shame to let an episode like "Virtual Systems Analysis" go to waste.


Chris Pratt, Parks and Recreation
Pratt's Andy is consistently funny, every single episode, and he owes that less to his cemented status as the resident lovable dummy than to Chris Pratt's impeccable timing and instincts.  He is that rare performer who I absolutely believe is capable of taking material that lies flat on the page and taking to a whole new and unexpected level.  I'd love to see all the men (and ladies) of Parks up for nominations, but I'll settle for at least this guy.



Aziz Ansari, Parks and Recreation
Again, consistently funny, and Ansari was given a bit more to work with this season with Tom's Entertainment 720 story line (we can just ignore the Tom/Ann arc, right?).  I think Aziz is repeatedly underestimated and undervalued, and that he deserves a shot at this prize at least as much as any of the increasingly boring dudes over on Modern Family.


Rainn Wilson, The Office
Wilson deserves a medal for carrying The Office this season.  It seemed the show could not go on without Michael Scott (and in many ways, it has failed to do so), and even fan favorites Jim, Pam, and Andy seemed to fall flat in season 8.  But it was Dwight--crazier than ever, always power-hungry Dwight--who continued to strive for hilarity every damn time.  Give him the recognition he deserves for accomplishing a seemingly impossible feat.


Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Burrell will be nominated, and he's the only Modern Family cast member I feel has actually earned it again.  He continues to combine his awkward humor with some genuine emotional moments in a way that is just downright pleasing to watch.


Best Actress, Comedy:


Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
If Amy Poehler doesn't walk away with this award this year there is just no justice in the world.  This was the year she took a character (Leslie Knope) whom most people found annoying at best when the series premiered, and brought her to an unexpected and absolutely delightful moment of triumph and likeability.  That's on top of her never-wavering ability to be both the most sincere character on television as well as one of the most hilarious.


Lena Dunham, Girls
Dunham will get a nomination, as the Emmy voters are perennially in love with quirky new shows as well as pretty much anything to air on HBO.  Throw in the fact that Judd Apatow has a producer credit, and they'll be queuing up to hand awards to the girls of Girls (see what I did there?).  I'm perfectly okay with Dunham being nominated, but there is no universe (and I think she'd agree) in which she deserves this award over Amy Poehler.



Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
 Ugh.  Much as I'd like to hope people are over Deschanel and Jess Day, I'm sure they aren't.  I'm sure she'll be nominated, but again, Poehler is the one to top here.



Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Another likely lock for a nomination, but 30 Rock's sixth season just didn't measure up to its predecessors.  I think Fey is also the co-nominee most likely to be outraged alongside me if Amy Poehler doesn't win.

...Is it clear yet who I'm rooting for here?  I basically watch the Emmys to see if they finally validate Poehler and Parks.  I hope this is the year I'm finally not disappointed.

Best Actor, Comedy:


Joel McHale, Community
I think this nomination would please me just because McHale probably takes himself the least seriously as an actor out of everyone in the field.  He really has grown as a performer and as a character on Community, though, and it shows throughout season three.  I would also love to hear his acceptance speech.



Adam Scott, Parks and Recreation
Oh Ben Wyatt, do you even understand how many women out there adore you?  That alone would be reason enough for Scott to deserve a nomination.  But romance aside, Ben had a lot of wonderfully witty, genuine moments of his own this season on Parks, which is why the powers that be likely saw fit to submit him for consideration as a Lead Actor.  I will definitely be rooting for him come Emmy night.




Best Drama:

Game of Thrones
I just love this show so much, and I would love for it to unseat a favorite like Homeland or Mad Men.  Let's show the world (or at least, the fraction of the world who pay attention to the Emmy awards) that a little show about dragons and magic and kings and kick-ass ladies can beat a navel-gazing drama or a lackluster procedural fair and square.

Downton Abbey
Downton took a big risk moving themselves to this category (they could have dominated in the Mini-Series department), and I'm not entirely sure it will pay off, given the competition.  I'd love to see it creep into the list of nominees, though, and I think it has a decent chance at doing so.

Mad Men
Will be nominated, will probably win.  Will probably surprise no one.


Breaking Bad
Again unsurprising, though a potential contender to unseat Mad Men


Best Comedy:

Parks and Recreation
Please, TV gods, please just once give the award to my all-time favorite comedy series.  Please.


Modern Family
The third season was extremely sub-par compared to the previous two, and I think everyone knows it, but doesn't want to admit it because of the show's popularity.  This will win if the Emmy voters continue their unfortunate habit of simply checking the same names year after year.
 
Happy Endings
More people need to be watching (and appreciating) this show.  End of story.  But seriously, this is one of the best ensemble casts on TV, with some of the sharpest writing. Hopefully Emmy voters take notice.


Community
Maybe all the controversy over its near-cancellation, move to Friday nights, and loss of producer Dan Harmon will finally have earned this show the notice it so sorely deserves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment