Thursday, April 19, 2012

TV Review: Community-- Virtual Systems Analysis



Okay, it's official:  the hiatus from this blog (the one even I didn't know was happening) is officially over!  My Internet connection has been restored, and with it my ability to watch and analyze TV in a prompt and expansive manner.  No one is more upset than I am that I missed out on recapping the epic pillows vs. blankets two-part showdown, but I'll have to make up for it with my thoughts on tonight's "Virtual Systems Analysis," the much-hyped episode taking place almost entirely within the Dreamatorium.

This was a near-perfect installment for those of us who really adore the, well, weirder episodes of this show.  In it we see Abed (reluctantly) take Annie into the Dreamatorium while Britta and Troy are out to lunch together (incidentally, I really like that the show sidestepped some shipper nonsense by not showing the meal itself, but rather Abed's projections of what might be happening).  While inside, Annie touches a nerve in Abed when she criticizes him for his inability to empathize with others.  After she "breaks" his mind in this way, they spend the subsequent time speculating on various parts of Annie's subconscious, with Abed assuming the roles of their other friends, thus forcing Annie to confront her subconscious--literally, at one point, when he plays Annie herself and forces her to an understanding of her feelings for Jeff.  For a relationship that has been teased almost to the point of overkill this season, this was an interesting and strangely satisfying development.  In a way, I'm just happy that Annie's not truly pining for Jeff in the way she's been previously painted.

I think what I appreciate most about this episode, though, is the way it expanded upon the thread that's been established in the past few weeks, the examination of how Abed interacts with the world and the negatives of his behaviors and perceptions.  I like that the show didn't forget what it's already done to touch upon these issues, and that it showed not only a deeper insight into Abed's struggles but seemed to genuinely help him progress as a character.  Dan Harmon promised way back in September that season 3 would deliver on a fuller exploration of Abed, and I have to admit, I doubted him there for a little while.  However, this episode has proven me wrong, and left me with an appreciation for the fact that, though there are still moments of seeming indecision in the writing this season, the powers that be do have a plan for this lovable band of misfits, and that plan will make itself known in due course.

Also, who didn't love Troy's list of things he doesn't understand?  I want to bookmark a video of just that clip to watch whenever I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment