Thursday, May 5, 2011

TV Review: Community's Western Cliffhanger


Loved the opening, and the performances all around.  I appreciated how willing they were to really go all out this time, and it really felt like a different show.  But that's the appeal of Community-- you get a fresh take every week.  I don't always like when they go for the straight up parody, but this time it worked really well.  The flashbacks particularly were really a great touch.

And of course, guest appearance by one Josh Holloway, last seen on LOST?  Phenomenal.  Although I am wondering whether he is capable of playing outside the rugged cowboy persona (not a complaint, merely an observation).  I loved his showdown with the gang, though, and the sheer volume of references to Sawyer was fantastic. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Abed's assessment:  Annie was "pretty awesome today."  Seriously though, I really appreciated them allowing her to step into the badass spotlight, especially since she's spent most of the season in the little girl role.  On a separate note, should Shirley really have been running around like that?  She just popped out a kid, guys.

Overall, "A Fistfull of Paintballs" really kept the sweeps streak going, particularly after last week's quieter, more dramatic installment.  I loved the ending, which really felt like a film for which I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel (especially with the epic-looking trailer for the next episode).  There's a conspiracy afoot, and I for one can't wait to watch it unfold next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment