Monday, March 28, 2011

TV Round-Up: Mixed Bag


Community:  I have to admit, this episode was again underwhelming.  I think I've just come to expect so much from any episode with such a hyped theme, and this one just didn't deliver.  It was advertised as the "Pulp Fiction" episode, but by the time it was over I was left with the very strong feeling that given the range and talent of the cast and the quality of the film in question, they could have done much more.  I think they played it safe this week, not taking any of the risks for which this show is known, and it showed.  Yes, it was probably a bit of a risk giving Abed that huge monologue about his "Cougar Town" experience (honestly, I think I was distracted throughout the speech by my own attempts to imagine Abed watching that show), but that scene actually ended up standing out as a highlight in an otherwise weak installment.

Much hype has been made about the episodes to come (I've heard rumors of a Josh Holloway appearance, not to mention the much-anticipated paintball sequel, which will either be terrible or brilliant), so I'm hoping (again) that we're just seeing the valley before we begin to climb yet another comedic summit along with our favorite Greendale students.  The show may have just gotten picked up for a third season, but now is not the time to slow down; Dan Harmon and company need to use May sweeps to prove they deserve another year.

Parks and Recreation:  This was one episode where just hearing the premise told me it was going to be hilarious.  In "Camping," Leslie takes the Parks team out into the wilderness for a night of brainstorming and bonding, and the results are pretty much what you'd expect, at least in terms of productivity.  Tom brought along his SkyMall haven, and we saw the long-awaited (at least, in my case) return of DJ ROOMBA!  What I enjoyed even more than Tom himself was the continuation of his storyline (read:  bromance) with Ben.  The two of them were really bonding there in the tent, at least until Ron pulled the plug. 

Can we just establish that April and Andy are quickly becoming one of the best couples on television right now (if they weren't already)?  Everything they do just works, and each of them has remained dimensional, resisting that dreaded trend of melding into what I like to call a "relationship blob" [think Barney and Robin on HIMYM-- should have, by all rights, been epic, but just got too boring too fast].  I think seeing Andy go to all that trouble to make April's camping experience wonderful was such an adorable moment, especially watching him dance around with the rose petals.  It was a throwback, for me at least, to the early days of Jim and Pam on The Office.

All the other elements of this episode just fell into place perfectly.  (Sidebar:  I realize I spend most of my reviews of this show gushing over how good it is; but hey, I'll stop when they stop producing the best 20 minutes of my TV week).  Leslie and Ben?  More baby steps, but I'll take it.  Ann and Chris?  Spot on, as usual.  And Ron had my quote of the week:  "Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something."

The Office:  And speaking of Jim and Pam...  I don't usually review (or consistently watch) The Office anymore, but when I read that Michael was scheming to propose to Holly, I knew that this was going to be a can't-miss episode.  And I was right.  I won't go too much into detail about it, because I think everyone who ever had a soft spot for this show should definitely check it out themselves (plus I don't want to get into more gushing and discussion of how choked up I may or may not have gotten...).  Anyway, it was fabulous; I'm really glad that the writers are giving Steve Carell the swan song he so thoroughly deserves.

Glee and How I Met Your Mother were, unfortunately, reruns this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment