Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TV Round-Up: Transitions

Well, finals are over and that means I’m back.  I’ll be honest, even if I had been able to find the time for this, nobody was really bringing it hard enough for me to take interest.  Up until this past week (I’m talking about 3/14 to today), Glee was mediocre at the best of times, and the other shows I care about were in post-sweeps hibernation.  But my reward for all the studying, interview prep, and other miscellaneous nonsense was a week of television at its finest, everything a distraction ought to be.  Here we go:
Glee:  There are so many wonderful things to say about this episode, most of which have already made it to the Internet, and more specifically to Tumblr.  I’ll start with what I’m fairly certain was everyone’s favorite part of “Original Song”— the realization of Kurt and Blaine’s adorable romance (not to mention, one of the best TV kisses I’ve seen in quite a while).  It’s been a rarity this season for me to watch any one clip multiple times, but the adorable factor is just too much, not to mention the way Blaine’s sincerity just squeezes my little heart.
My close-second favorite scene, though, is one not everyone was crazy about:  the Quinn/Rachel confrontation in the auditorium.  Not only was the acting above and beyond my expectations for this show (especially Dianna Agron’s), but the content of the scene was something that I was not expecting, but was a pleasant surprise all the same.  Quinn may come off as a bitch to most people who aren’t reading into it like I was (and she definitely could have approached the topic better), but what she ended up expressing was so meaningful that I would hate to think that Rachel took it the wrong way.  Quinn is not the naive small-town gal we’ve all underestimated her to be; she knows she’ll never escape Lima, and she’s accepted that her life will amount to a whole lot of settling.  What she won’t stand for is seeing someone who has the ability and the drive to go so much farther (that is, Rachel), limit herself all for some guy (and especially given how much of a jerk Finn’s been lately, I have to agree with Quinn).  I like to think that Rachel understood this, at the very least after penning her song (which, yes, I’ve listened to an embarrassing number of times since), but my worry is that the writers will mash her back together with Finn and forget that either girl had a moment of revelation during this episode.
Overall, this may just be one of my favorite episodes yet.  It definitely makes me feel a little more justified for all the nonsense I’ve endured (especially the past few weeks), knowing that Ryan Murphy and Co. are capable of this level of television.  Please, oh please, let them follow through on the promise they’ve shown for the remaining six episodes.
Community:  To be honest, a fairly forgettable episode (though my standards have been stuck at “high” since the Dungeons and Dragons installment).  I have higher expectations for the end of the season (I recall last year at this point being where they struggled, too), so we will have to wait it out and hope that Jeff and the gang find a new way to wow us in the lead up to finale season.
Parks and Recreation:  Harvest Festival day finally arrived, and I, like Leslie, could not have been more psyched.  This episode had all the ingredients for a first-rate laughfest, accented nicely with relationship developments all around.  The April and Andy conflict was a typical sitcom staple (one says those three words and the other can’t return them), but I did like the fresh color of Ron being the one to forcibly resolve it.  What I liked best, though, was of course the continuation of the slow build between Ben and Leslie.  I’m just going to say right now that if for some reason this doesn’t pan out, the writers are going to have at least one highly disappointed viewer on their hands.
The supporting characters were charming and quirky as always, and I must say, I think I kind of like Ann being single and pathetic; it suits her.  I am intrigued to see what this show has in store now that the Harvest Festival (an event I thought would surely be withheld until the finale) has concluded.  Perhaps the fall-out will bring some kind of development we aren’t expecting.  As long as the show keeps chugging along at this tidy little pace, though, I have no complaints.
How I Met Your Mother:  An impeccable comeback, to be sure; funny and heartwarming in equal measure, and of course, filled with wonderful acting.  John Lithgow made an appearance in this week’s episode, because why wouldn’t the Trinity killer be Barney’s father?  He and Neil Patrick Harris pushed each other to truly fantastic performances, and I really felt like everything in this episode resolved itself exactly the way I would have wanted.  I’m interested to see where the tail end of this season is going— this episode seemed to indicate that we’ll be leaving both the Barney/father and Marshall/grieving subplots behind, and the only things we know for sure are coming are the impending bust-up between Ted and Zoey, and that mystery wedding from the premiere (which we still don’t have a confirmation is even happening in Season 6).  So as to what’s next, it’s anyone’s guess at this point, but I for one can’t wait to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment