Monday, September 12, 2011

Emmys 2011: Predictions



The Primetime Emmy Awards are almost upon us, airing on Sunday, September 18th on FOX.  Jane Lynch will be hosting, and since she's usually pretty hilarious I think we can all expect a pretty good show.  And maybe, just maybe, that good show will compensate for some of the grievous snubs that have taken place this Emmy season (though I doubt it).  Here are my thoughts on who will win and who should win* in each of the big categories.

Supporting Actor, Comedy
Chris Colfer, Glee
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Ty Burrell, Modern Family*
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

I think a part of me is a little resentful still at the excess of Modern Family love in this category-- don't get me wrong, all the men involved are hilarious, but they didn't all give the best performances of the year.  However, I was rooting for Ty Burrell prior to the nominations, and I really do think he's the best of the bunch here.  That said, I think the vote is going to tip in Ed O'Neill's favor, as this is his first nomination.  Either that or all the Modern Family guys will split the vote and we'll see a Chris Colfer win, which would be kind of a bummer.

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Julie Bowen, Modern Family*
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Jane Lynch, Glee
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland
Kristen Wiig, SNL*
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock

I don't think the Betty White love-fest is quite over, so I'm pretty certain she'll get this one.  But I would love to see Julie Bowen get in there, or for Kristen Wiig, this category's wild card in every sense, to take home the prize.

Supporting Actor, Drama
*I really have no opinion on this one, as I haven't seen any of the performances nominated


Supporting Actress, Drama
Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire*
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Michelle Forbes, The Killing
Margo Martindale, Justified

Lead Actor, Comedy
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Steve Carrell, The Office*
Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory
Louis C.K., Louie
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Johnny Galecki, Big Bang Theory

Steve Carrell is the sentimental choice, but this time around it's well-earned.  His performance as Michael Scott preparing to leave the Dunder Mifflin crew behind for good was genuinely heartfelt and hilarious, and one that, unlike the other nominees, won't have a chance at being replicated next year.

Lead Actress, Comedy
Laura Linney, The Big C
Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation*
Melissa McCarthy, Mike and Molly
Tina Fey, 30 Rock

Laura Linney is the favorite, and she is a fantastic actress, but I want Amy Poehler to win so badly that my heart hurts a little.  Leslie Knope is one of the best characters on television because of Poehler and the skill she brings, and I just want someone to recognize that, gosh darnit.

Lead Actor, Drama
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire*
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
Timothy Olyphant, Justified

Lead Actress, Drama
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men*
Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order SVU
Mireille Enos, The Killing
Kathy Bates, Harry's Law

Outstanding Comedy
Glee
Modern Family
The Office
Parks and Recreation*
The Big Bang Theory
30 Rock

I need a Parks win here.  I need someone besides me and a bunch of other lowly bloggers to acknowledge that this is the best comedy currently on television, hands down.  Modern Family is great, and I watch it every week and laugh along, but the second season lacked the originality and spark of the first, and it just didn't top Parks in terms of comedy this year.

Outstanding Drama
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
The Good Wife
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Game of Thrones*


Boardwalk Empire seems on track to sweep all the major awards, and that's fine.  However, there is nothing I love more than an upset, which is why I'd love to see Game of Thrones (which from what I've read has quite the nerd following) walk away with the prize instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment