Monday, September 12, 2011

Fall TV 2011: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Season 7



When it comes to making predictions about the gang and their inevitable hijinks, I can't always be sure what's to come.  For instance, I don't think I would have ever predicted this little-show-that-could reaching all the way to its seventh season, which is huge for any show but downright staggering for an original comedy on basic cable.  Yes, season six had its ups and downs (mostly downs, especially as the season drew to a close), but based on what I've read about the forthcoming season (and especially those fantastic over-the-top promos), I think Charlie, Mac and the gang are about to stage a comeback in the best way.

I've been skimming a lot of articles like this one during my Fall TV preparation period, and though there have only been little glimpses as to what we might see Paddy's crew doing this fall, many of those glimpses have definite promise, not to mention considerable potential for hilarity.  We've all probably heard or read some of the buzz about Rob McElhenney's absurd plan to pack on 50 pounds in an attempt to supply fresh material and more laughs for his character Mac, but here are some of the tidbits you may not have heard, and which I'm equally excited to see.

*  Frank will find himself in a re-creation of Pretty Woman.  Knowing how disgusting Frank is capable of being, it will be interesting (to say the least) to see the working girl with low enough standards to be charmed by him.

*  The gang will become involved with a children's beauty pageant.  I don't think I have to explain the possibilities here.

*  The gang will visit the Jersey Shore, but as Charlie Day intimated on Conan last week, it won't necessarily be to spoof the MTV show.  He claims they are instead on a mission to illustrate that there are "much better...and much much worse" people living on the Shore than the perpetually bronzed cast.

*  2012 and the impending apocalypse will be addressed.  Am I the only one who thinks/hopes Charlie already has some kind of plan in place for such a scenario, and that we'll get to see it?

*  More of The Waitress, not to mention Jason Sudeikis, who guest-starred in one of season 6's better installments.  I won't say no to either of these things.

For the full intel on what's to come, feel free to peruse the article, linked above.  I think it's safe to say that no matter what, the gang will have a triumphant return when the show comes back this Thursday, September 15th on FX.  I know I've been watching far too many relatively well-adjusted people on television, and I've missed Dee, Dennis, Charlie, Mac, and even Frank, more than I ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment