Monday, November 7, 2011

TV Review: 2 Broke Girls 1.07-- ...And Hoarder Culture



First, let's just get this out of the way:  I love Han.  And everything he does.  "I have ended my bromance with your boyfriend Johnny."  If he had his own spinoff, I would totally watch that.

There are some good things going on in this episode.  Caroline trying to get a second job (sidenote:  I think people who write for TV want Craigslist to be a lot sketchier place to look for a job than it really is; some of us plebeians have to use it, okay?)  She stumbles upon what looks to be a hoarder's place.  Here's the thing, and I do not think I'm alone in this:  I will always be fascinated and mildly disgusted by hoarder culture.  I just don't understand it.  And as long as there are things about it on television, I will be there to watch them.  Also, kittens!

We also got a few steps forward on the Max and Johnny front, which usually pays off for this show. I particularly like how absolutely every other character is all up in their business, and there isn't even business to be up in yet.  But...oh no, plot twist!  Johnny has a girlfriend, as Max unfortunately finds out just after she's decided to go for it.  This revelation is followed by a rare dose of sincerity, which usually doesn't happen on this show between anyone other than Max and Caroline.  It was...interesting.  Yes, it felt a little cheesy, very much like the cliche Katharine Heigl movies they repeatedly referenced, but it was also a step forward for Max's character, one that I hope will stick.  She's definitely enjoyable in her current sassy state, but that can only be maintained for so long before she softens up just a little bit, and I think we saw the potential beginnings of that here.

I like that this episode cut down a little on Max and Caroline's time together and played up the supporting cast a little bit more, because they all have more potential than they've gotten credit for thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment