Friday, November 11, 2011

TV Review; Parks and Recreation 4.07-- The Treaty



All right, writers of Parks and Recreation, you know us too well.  I can't speak for everyone (though I'm pretty sure my opinion is in the majority), but if I can't have Leslie and Ben actually being together, I will gratefully accept a heavy dose of them being nerds together and arguing (UST, anyone?), which is exactly what "The Treaty" gives us.  It also has a pretty amazing model-UN story, with Andy and April tagging along to help out (and be hilarious).  Throw in Tom and Ron interviewing the worst candidates ever for the former's position in the Parks Department, and a Chris storyline that manages to minimize his annoying factor (mainly because Ann and Donna tell him a bunch of things that make him annoying), and you've got a fantastic episode (directed by Jorma Taccone, no less, who seems to be everywhere these days).

The Model UN project is perfect because it is right up both Leslie and Ben's respective allies, plus it gives them both a chance to gain some perspective on their maturity, which takes a significant plunge in this episode (particularly after Leslie's declaration of war against "Peru").  As a side note (but very important), I loved April and Andy's contributions (if they can be called that), lightening up what could have been another very cringe-worthy Leslie meltdown.  I do like that they make it up to the kids in the end with the kind of Leslie Knope, pulled-from-nowhere solution we've come to know and love.  Oh, and I also adored the scene with Leslie and April by the lockers, because it is a great moment between the two of them, and we haven't gotten one of those in a while.

I'm glad Tom will be re-joining "Tommy's Place" (which is what he has officially dubbed the department), because I miss having him around, and I'd also like to see him take a larger role in Leslie's campaign without the distraction of Entertainment 720.  The video he made for Leslie in "Meet n Greet" shows that he's capable of doing the exact kind of schmoozing/propaganda she's going to need (especially when she gets a rival candidate, which is supposed to happen soon), and I'd like to see him do something productive for his friend and show his growth following his failure as an entrepreneur.

The Chris storyline is kind of boring except for the opportunity it affords Ann to show the transformation she's made from last season.  Also, I tend to agree with her stance on jogging:  "Jogging is the worst!  I mean, I know it keeps you healthy, but God, at what cost?"

Overall a strong episode, very funny and full of some truly great character moments.  It didn't quite reach the scope of last week's epic installment, but it made some important steps forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment