Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows



I just finished this novel, and I have to say, it is one of the more endearing ones I've read recently.  I am usually a fan of dysfunction in the books I read, of characters who have a darker side and may even be entirely unlikeable, so this was an interesting change of pace.  Fun fact about where the recommendation for this one came from:  a magazine I was reading (I think it was US Weekly) informed me that one Kate Middleton was seen toting this book on her fancy publicity tour.  And because I am not above wanting to be as well-read as the Duchess of Cambridge, I added it to my list.  Let it thus be known that Kate may have her flaws (like being young and interesting and glamorous), but her taste in books is pretty darn good.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (apart from having a mouthful of a title), is composed entirely of letters between fictional author Juliet Ashton, who is looking for her next project, and the men and women of the titular Society, about whom she will eventually decide to write.  This is not only a story of a writer looking for a story to tell, though; it's a study of charming and quirky characters, set against the grim backdrop of WW2's immediate aftermath in England.  Guernsey has only recently been liberated from German occupation, and the impact on its citizens has been enormous.  The Literary Society itself began as a ruse to disguise an illicit meeting of friends from the soldiers, and yet it managed to become a source of entertainment and unwavering support during an impossibly difficult time.

Juliet becomes so enamored of these people and their stories that she travels to Guernsey herself to meet and befriend them.  She immediately takes to the town and its inhabitants, particularly the orphaned daughter of the Society's founder, as well as the man whose initial correspondence revealed to her the existence of the Society and the potential for a story to be found.  By novel's end, Juliet can scarcely imagine returning to the dull bustle of London after experiencing such a wonderful and warm community, and neither can the reader.

I have not read a lot of books about England during this period in history (the most recent being Ian McEwan's Atonement), but I have to say I may look for more in the future.  My studies of WW2 in my history classes have largely focused on America's role, as well as the tragedies of the Holocaust, which I think has left me with less appreciation for the struggles of those living in war-torn Europe during the fighting, just struggling to maintain any sense of normalcy.  The people of Guernsey could easily exist today, could be me or you or anyone, and the story of their experiences and their collective strength is inspiring.  It also doesn't hurt that the idea behind the Society, that books are capable of bringing people together in a unique and profound way, is something that I will always, always advocate. 

This is a genuinely enchanting story and a fairly fast read, as most of the letters are brief and to the point, letting the events speak for themselves without an excess of editorializing.  I recommend it to anyone interested in this period of history, or simply in a tale of people emerging from the ashes of the past to embrace a surprisingly happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment