Tuesday, May 17, 2011

TV Review: Glee Does Death



It's hard to decide exactly how I felt about this episode.  On the plus side, it was pretty free of ridiculous moments (at least, intentionally ridiculous ones), but I'm still not sure it did what it was intended to do.

Death and its impact on relationships were the (sort of) unspoken theme of this episode, and I have to say, I didn't completely hate that.  Sue's development over the course of the hour felt genuine and poignant, my concern as always is whether it will stick (I hope it will, after an entire episode dedicated to it and such a major event serving as its catalyst).  I like the idea that in death Jean really was the only person capable of turning her outlook around, and I really liked that she ultimately decided not to bar Becky from her life. 

Some of the scenes, particularly the lead up to the funeral and the event itself, felt a little manipulative/sad for the sake of being sad, but on the whole I was more pleased with it than I would have expected. 

I liked the fallout from the funeral with Quinn and Finn.  Yes, it felt like a strange moment for Finn to be thinking about his tangled love life instead of, oh I don't know, his dead father or something, but I've been waiting for their breakup since the relationship reignited, so it was a relief to finally see it.  I'm also intrigued to see what Quinn is plotting for Nationals (I don't usually like full-on bitch-mode Quinn, but she's been pretty bland lately so I'm ready for her to pull out the big guns again).

Other notes:  I hope that Rachel resists Jesse's advances, which I can only predict are going to become even more overt next week, but I also hope they don't try to do a cliffhanger of who she'll choose with the finale.  I liked Will and Emma's scenes together; they felt genuine and I really liked the way she encouraged him to go pursue his dream even though she clearly wants him to stick around.  Additionally, what is going on with Terri?  Did anyone else get the vibe that she might be planning to off herself (or is that just my morbid brain in conjunction with the episode's dreary theme)?  I guess we'll find out next season.

Nationals are next week, and I'm interested to see how New Directions fares.  My hopes for the finale include some kind of resolution on the Rachel/Finn front, rather than just pining for each other; preferably an appearance/more than one line from Blaine, Puck, and/or Sam; great songs (I'm nervous about them doing original songs again, I feel like Nationals really needs to be a significant step up from their previous competitions); and maybe another sweet goodbye moment with Schue (since according to the promo the other shoe is going to drop on that one real fast).  I'm fully anticipating none of these will be met as the season rambles to what will likely be an uneven close, but I'll be watching anyway, hoping for something to leave me ready for Season 3.

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to see that the other kids agreed to let Rachel and Finn sing the solos for the song. It was kind of cheesy that the song ended up being about the two of them when all of the kids were supposed to be writing the songs. I guess reality has to be suspended when watching this show. It was funny when Jesse says “I couldn’t stay away” and Will says “from the show…or her?” I was like, yeah Mr. Schue! Then Finn and Rachel kiss and the audience just stare at them. Awkward! Their final song was totally rockin’ though. It’s so easy to find the time to watch Glee now that I have my DISH Network employee Sling adapter because I watch on my iPhone when I’m out and about. I record the show and watch it on my lunch the next day but with a family to take care of I don’t think I would ever have time at home.

    ReplyDelete