Tuesday, May 3, 2011

TV Review: How I Met Your Mother Slows Things Down


I don't know exactly what it was about last night's episode, of How I Met Your Mother, but for me it just didn't go there.  It is sweeps after all, and this episode felt a lot like filler.  I think the biggest problem is that it is difficult to get invested in the Ted/Zoey relationship now that we've been explicitly told that it won't work out.  I didn't expect them to keep leading us on as though she were the mother, but I just couldn't feel anything about them exchanging "I love you"s or taking a turn in their romance because I'm already thinking about their inevitable breakup.  The show's writer's did this before, with Sarah Chalke's Stella, and it was equally frustrating to watch.  At any rate, I think I just expected more from "The Perfect Cocktail," and for one of the first times this season, the show did not deliver.

It wasn't bad, per se.  There were still a lot of laughs as always (especially in the Marshal/Barney plot), but with only a couple of episodes left to go I had really hoped the show would continue to ride the momentum it's spent the season building.  Instead, it stalled a little bit, and I'm wondering if the final two installments will be able to make up for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment