Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bucket List Update: Fremont Troll


As it's looking more and more likely that I will be returning to the Midwest for a spell come June, I've been increasingly anxious about accomplishing the items on my Seattle Bucket List.  After all, who knows when I'll be back to the West Coast-Best Coast?  I have to get everything done that has managed to escape me during my four years here.  And one of those big items (and one that I was extremely, perhaps irrationally, excited about) was the Fremont Troll.

Last Saturday, this dream was made possible by one of the VP's at my organization, who suggested we make a stop at the troll on our way back from our retreat.  I couldn't believe it-- this monument was every bit as cool in person as I'd been imagining, not only because it's huge but because it's literally right at the end of a regular street; you could drive into it if you really wanted to.

That's one more item accomplished, and with things getting down to the wire, the Bucket List has become an issue of prioritizing.  I'm probably not going to see a whale before I leave, and I've accepted that.  I may have to substitute the Tulip Festival with simply buying tulips at the market.  And that's okay.  I've been to Portland and Canada within the last two months, not to mention the Woodland Park Zoo, which wasn't even on the list but is definitely worth bonus points.  And anyway, what matters most to me is getting every moment I can with the people here whom I adore, and making the most of my last five weeks (gosh, that's scary to even type).

Remaining Items (That May or May Not Be Realistic):

Pike Place Cheese Festival
GasWorks Park
Denny Creek
Ride the Ducks
Dive Bar Challenge/Find a dive bar that doesn't make me want to shower immediately afterward
Study at the UW library (it looks like Hogwarts!)

Looks like approximately one item per week...challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment