Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Movie Thoughts: 127 Hours


Okay, so obviously it took me a while to see this one (I was waiting to watch it for free, naturally), but I definitely loved it.  Despite all the arm-chopping, this was a truly beautiful movie.  Danny Boyle's artistry in executing this film just proved to me that "Slumdog Millionaire" wasn't just a fluke.  I was wondering exactly how the story would come together in a way that really felt complete while still giving the main event its due, but any concerns I had were definitely moot.

 I loved the structure of the movie, the way things weren't always chronological and questions weren't always answered right away.  I loved getting Aron's story piece by piece via those trippy flashbacks and I loved the feeling of really being inside his head throughout the ordeal.  It was inherently difficult to make an entire audience understand the stakes and the motivation behind the arm amputation, but I think the film really succeeded.  And of course, the movie was just so well-made visually that I couldn't tear my eyes away (even during "that" scene).

More little things I loved:  the soundtrack, both the score and the songs that were inserted; random appearances by lesser known actors I love (Amber Tamblyn, Clemence Poesy, and so on); everything about James Franco's performance. 

I think I need a little more time to process the movie and what I want to take away from it, but even initially I think it was something truly inspiring and something that definitely reminded me how important it is to look at things with more of a grand scheme approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment