Thursday, April 21, 2011

TV Review: Community Goes Clip Show, Sort Of


I think I need to open with a big old "I WAS RIGHT."  Thank you, your applause is not necessary.  But I figured out that Jeff and Britta were hooking up behind the scenes months ago, and they waited so long to address this that even I almost forgot.  But I knew-- they thought they were being clever, but let the record show that I knew all along.

This episode was a step in the right direction, both a move back toward the original brilliance of this show as well as a nice stepping stone toward May sweeps.  We got what was essentially a look back at the season so far (with some hilarious new clips added in-- why couldn't we have had a full episode dedicated to the ghost town trip, or the gang's run-in with drug lords?), and an exposure of some of the issues that have been neglected or not completely resolved heading into the home stretch.  Yeah, nothing of much consequence actually happened tonight, but but re-opening some of these discussions and having the gang essentially refuse to tie them up, we're set up for sweeps with a lot of potential things hanging in the balance.

A few things that really stood out:  I adored the mocking use of Sara Bareilles' "Gravity" (one of my personal favorite songs) in a YouTube fanvid style parody with first Jeff and Annie and then hilariously with Pierce and Abed.  Why do I fear that both montages will inevitably spawn numerous imitations within the next week...?  Also, Troy in particular was hilarious in this episode; I honestly think that he can never be featured enough, so I'm looking forward to see where he winds up by season's end, more than maybe anyone else on this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment