Tuesday, April 12, 2011

TV Review: HIMYM Returns Just in Time for Spring


How I Met Your Mother:  Spot on.  Again, no fireworks, but a great installment in the lead-up to sweeps.  I felt like each plot line moved the respective pair's story forward (and yes, I'm going to persist with my belief that we are getting these charming little Barney/Robin interactions for a reason), and that we got a bit of a preview of what's to come.  Ted and Zoey are headed for a rocky place and an eventual bust-up, and given the level of discord in their relationship now I think I'm okay with that (provided he has even better chemistry with the mother).  As for Marshal and Lily, I still think we'll get a pregnancy announcement out of them by the end of the season-- there's been so much discussion of them conceiving on purpose that I think an accidental baby when they're least expecting it would be a great twist.  Honestly, I was kind of expecting something of the sort last night following Lily's secret plan to go to Spain.  I'm glad she came back in the end, but I think keeping us a little more in suspense, even until just next week, might have been a better move.  Then again, the seeming completeness of this episode convinces me that the next few will be more intertwined, and those are always the episodes with the biggest payoffs.

Additionally, I am convinced, not only by my own hopes for it but also by the numerous articles I've read positing it, that the end of the season wedding reveal will in fact prove to be Mr. Barney Stinson.  I think there's been too much growth for his character this season for that not to be the place where he ends it.  As to who the bride will be I only have guesses (and hopes!), but I think this theory is even more supported by the fact that the producers have said that the reveal will involve a jump pretty far into the future.  That gives Barney ample time to travel down the path toward monogamy on which he already seems poised, not to mention time for him to meet and court the lucky lady (or to get back together with Robin and make it work!).  Ignoring my over-enthusiastic parentheses, I think there's a lot of grounding here for a great final string of episodes and a finale that people will be talking about into the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment