Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May Sweeps: Where Do We Go From Here? Part One

The first week of May is almost upon us (believe me, I'm as shocked as you are), and for the obsessive TV-watching world, this means Sweeps.  This is the time of year when our favorite shows will pull out all the stops to make us keep them as our favorites.  They'll try to shock us, make us laugh, and tug at our heartstrings (sometimes all three at once!).  As someone who's been tracking the progress of some of this shows all season long, I thought it fitting to have a little bit of a pre-Sweeps debrief to look at where we are and where we're going.

 
How I Met Your Mother:  This show has been notoriously difficult to really make predictions on, because of the writers' tendency to somewhat abruptly re-visit plot lines that most of us assume have long been forgotten.  However, I think this season has had a pretty clear narrative line, and of course there is the helpful addition of some revealing interviews with the two creators of the show, Craig Armstrong and Carter Bays.  According to the two of them, we will know by season's end whose wedding Ted is at during the premiere's flash-forward footage.  I have already discussed my heavy suspicion that the groom is Barney, but in case you remain unconvinced, here is my evidence:

*Ted is best man at the wedding, which would make sense given the obsession Barney has always had about the two of them being "best friends"
*The title of the episode is "Challenge Accepted."  This seems only fitting for a Barney wedding
*This entire season has shown us a different side of Barney, and we've gotten many indications that he wants to mature, but it unsure if he can.  Apart from him basically confessing as much in the most recent episode, we've also seen his brief relationship with Nora, in which he chickened out of trying to make it work, but for the first time seemed to genuinely want to.  There is also his eagerness to see Marshal and Lily start a family, and his ongoing issues surrounding his father.

Hence, even if the bride isn't Robin (despite how much I'd like that), I think we are definitely seeing Barney's wedding, and I'm going to guess it's taking place roughly 5 years down the road from the current episodes.  I think the wedding will be the major development of the finale, although I think there will be some drama surrounding Marshal, Lily and the baby situation-- I'm still predicting a surprise pregnancy, but the evidence for that is much more lacking.




 Glee:  Oh, geez.  This show is pretty impossible to predict lately, because of the sheer absurdity of many of the plot lines.  In fairness, there also hasn't been a very strong narrative line tying this season together, which does give the writers a little more freedom to do whatever pops into their heads (not advisable).  Given this knowledge, I'm going to make a bunch of predictions for what we'll see in the last leg of the season, some of them likely and some of them ludicrous, and we'll all have a good laugh after the finale when those in the latter group are much closer to what Ryan Murphy and company have dreamed up.

*Prom Queen?  Not Zizes, not Quinn, but Kurt.  Not only has Ryan Murphy said in multiple interviews that having a gay couple with the crown at prom is one of his dreams for the show, I don't think that Kurt is back at McKinley as any more than a plot convenience, and this could be where that becomes clear. 

*OR...Quinn will win Prom Queen, but Finn will break up with her that night.  Maybe I'm just cynical about proms, but I feel like she's not getting a happy ending in any event.

*Rachel and Sam.  I can't get this suspicion out of my head ever since reading an Ausiello blind item about two characters on one of his favorite shows hooking up, who've never had any romance/longing glances/tension, and the person they least want to see finds them doing the walk of shame, so to speak.  Rachel and Sam popped into my head right away, and I think it'll be Finn who finds them (cliche, but it's Glee).  However, an interesting alternative would be Quinn, and the tables would be turned from when Rachel knew her very big secret back in Season 1.

*Blaine transferring to McKinley.  At the very least, it will be suggested/Kurt will ask him before season's end.  I feel pretty confident about this one.

*New Directions makes the trek to Nationals...and wins?  I would have put my money on them to lose, however I'm wondering if they're going to add/subtract people again next season, and if that would make them want to give this version of New Directions a victory.  Though how they'll beat Vocal Adrenaline and their crazy-pipes vocalist, I still don't understand.

*Santana's secret will get out, probably to the whole Glee club.  I'll be interested to see how they react/support her.

*Schuester and Emma will, predictably, have a moment, probably in the finale.  And Schuester will probably screw it up.

*Sue will either become even more unbearably obnoxious, or more unrealistically redeemable.

*There's also going to be a death on Glee in one of the next few episodes, confirmed by various sources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment