Thursday, April 28, 2011

TV Review: The Office's Beautiful, Understated Send-Off


Remember earlier when I said I was pretty sure this episode was going to be perfect?  I don't regret that prediction for a second.  Every little piece of the puzzle came together, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a few (okay, many) tears for Michael on his last day with the Dunder-Mifflin gang.

I loved Michael making the rounds to say goodbye to and leave a bit of wisdom(?) with each of his co-workers.  I loved the letter of recommendation/paintball fight with Dwight.  I loved every second of his and Jim's interaction, especially their promise to "have lunch tomorrow."  And oddly, I think I really did love Michael's fake-out over when he was leaving, because it allowed the whole experience to be quieter and a little more serious than I would have expected.  Besides, we got our musical moment last week, so I think it was fitting that this week's swan song was much more understated.

Two additional things that were great:  I loved the way that Michael broke the fourth wall, in a sense, right before he took off his mic for the last time ("Let me know if this ever airs.").  On a related note, I loved that Pam made it to the airport in time to see him off (even though Security definitely wouldn't have let her through), and that we couldn't hear what they said to each other. 

I honestly have no complaints about this episode.  I loved it, as a send-off to Michael and also as the closing of a chapter.  I'm half-debating just letting this be the conclusion of my Office watching run, just because I think this ended on the exact note I would have wanted for the series as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment